Near Lake City in Marshall County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Constructed in 1881
One of the doctor's duties was to record mammal sightings. In 1869, elk, buffalo, antelope, grey wolf, and black bear were recorded. The antelope is the only animal still sighted in this region.
Due to dwindling numbers, an order was issued prohibiting the hunting of prairie chickens in 1876. This may have been the first conservation practice implemented in the area.
Wed. Nov. 22, 1865. Met my old comrade, Captain Ryan. He has been out trapping and has developed into a splendid cook.
Location. 45° 39.498′ N, 97° 31.866′ W. Marker is near Lake City, South Dakota, in Marshall County. Marker can be reached from 434th Ave. near 118th Stret. Touch for map. The Marker is located .1 mile from the parking lot on the main foot path. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11907 434th Ave,, Lake City SD 57247, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hospital (a few steps from this marker); Commanding Officer's Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Sisseton (within shouting distance of this marker); Officers' Quarters North Barracks (about 400 feet away); Governor William J. Janklow and Fort Sisseton (about 400 feet away); Senator Curt Jones and Fort Sisseton (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake City.
Also see . . . Fort Sisseton State Historic Park. (Submitted on February 4, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 106 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 4, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.