Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ladies Defender

 
 
Ladies Defender Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 4, 2017
1. Ladies Defender Marker
Inscription. A muzzle loading cannon cast in Columbus in 1861 from brass contributed by the ladies of the city from their domestic furnishings and utensils. Used about a year in the Confederate Artillery, it was captured by Federal troops at Shiloh, Tenn., April 6, 1862 and was probably used by them against the Confederate forces. For a number of years, Ladies Defender was exhibited as a war trophy in an armory in Chicago. It was there seen by R. Dan McEachery, of Columbus, who wrote L. H. Chappell, captain of the Columbus Guards. The gun was later placed in the National Cemetery at Shiloh, Tenn. An effort was initiated by Columbus to have the gun restored to its home city. In 1904, by an Act of Congress, Ladies Defender was returned to the City of Columbus.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-20.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 27.881′ N, 84° 59.491′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of East 10th Street and 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East 10th Street. Touch for map. Located in front of the Columbus Government
The view West, of intersection of 10th Street and 1st Avenue. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 4, 2017
2. The view West, of intersection of 10th Street and 1st Avenue.
Center and across from the Springer Opera House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East 10th Street, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Hospitals (a few steps from this marker); Springer Opera House (a few steps from this marker); POW✯MIA Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Jacket (within shouting distance of this marker); Primus King and the Civil Rights Movement (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Thomas H. Brewer (about 400 feet away); Columbus Symphony Orchestra (about 500 feet away); Fit for Man and Beast (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Regarding Ladies Defender. The Columbus Iron Works (now a convention and trade center on Front Avenue) manufactured all manner of armaments including cannons, munitions, and two gunboats. Tucked away on the second floor is a “Historic Display,” a dimly lit room accessible only to visitors behind a glass wall. There you can get a glimpse of the “Ladies Defender,” the mobile cannon cast from brass objects collected by the women of Columbus and melted in the foundry.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 178 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the Ladies Defender cannon located at what is now the Georgia Convention & Trade Center. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement