Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gen. Winfield Scott used the partially completed structure as his headquarters when, in 1836, he commanded the U.S. troops sent to this region to quell an Indian uprising which threatened Columbus and other West Georgia settlements.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 28.125′ N, 84° 59.505′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Avenue and 12th Street, on the left when traveling north on 1st Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1204 1st Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Black Public School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away); Kirven's Department Store (about 400 feet away); Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); City of Columbus (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Native Americans • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 162 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.