Avoca in Murray County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
This town began in 1878 and named for a river in Ireland. Became a key point for the sale of 50,000 acres of Railroad lands to Catholic colonists in Murray County through the activities of Archbishop Ireland and the Catholic Colonization Bureau.
Early erection of a church immigrant house and other public buildings greatly facilitated settlement.
Erected by State of Minnesota Department of Highways and The Minnesota Historical Society.
Location. 43° 56.866′ N, 95° 38.51′ W. Marker is in Avoca, Minnesota, in Murray County. Marker is on U.S. 59 0.1 miles south of NE 3rd St.. Touch for map. Marker is in a wayside park. Marker is in this post office area: Avoca MN 56114, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fulda's Cannon (approx. 5.6 miles away); Fulda Depot (approx. 5.8 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 221 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.