Key West in Monroe County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
War of 1898
On this site the Catholic Convent of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary was located
In April of 1898 it was graciously offered and converted to a 400 bed United States Army Hospital for the treatment of soldiers and sailors, ill with dangerous tropical diseases or wounded in battle, during Cuba's War of Independence.
In spite of the great danger, the following Sisters of The Convent cared for the afflicted; Sister Superior M. Florentine, Sister Simon, Visitation, Damien, L'Evangelista, Thomas, Hormisdas, Laurentius, Marguerite de Cortona, Egidius, Berenice, Ambroise de Sienna, Antoine de Jesus, Dolores, Catherine de Palanza, L. Gabriel, Anthony, Maurice, Domitille, Gaspard, Ulderic, Tharslie and Silvestre.
Volunteer United States Army Nurses serving here were Margaret Shaffer, Alice Lyons, Agnes Lease, Jennie Sherrian, Anna Fox and Johnetta Sanger. U.S. Army Doctors were W. C. Borden, S. Armstrong, B. Baker, H. Jackson and D. Hall.
The first U.S. Army post combat use of the X-Ray (then called Rontgen Ray) to locate bullets or shrapnel in wounded soldiers was performed at this hospital. This avoided the painful, dangerous and sometimes fatal practice of probing wounds with steel instruments, virtually blind, for the foreign matter.
Regular U.S. Cavalry, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 10th and 25th, the 9th and 10th were composed of "Buffalo Soldiers".
Volunteer U.S. Cavalry, the 1st USVC Regiment "Rough Riders", commanded by Colonel and later President Theodore Roosevelt.
U.S. Artillery, the 2nd, 4th and 5th
Regular U.S. Infantry, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 12th 13th, 16th 17th 20th, 21st, 22nd, 24th and 25th.
Volunteer U.S. Infantry, the 2nd and 71st New York
Hospital Corps, the 17th
Regular U.S. Navy, shipmates of the following U.S. vessels; USS Machias, Mangrove, Wilmington, Fern, and the USS Newark
Erected 2011 by 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry Regiment "Rough Riders", Inc. of Tampa, Florida.
Location. 24° 33.155′ N, 81° 47.804′ W. Marker is in Key West, Florida, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Truman Avenue (U.S. 1) and Elizabeth Street, on the right when traveling north on Truman Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 Truman Ave, Key West FL 33040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Convent Of Mary Immaculate (within shouting distance of this marker); Porter's Anti-Pirate Fleet (within shouting distance of this marker); Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); E.H. Gato Cigar Factory (about 600 feet away); Eduardo Gato Cigar Factory (about 700 feet away); Key West Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cornish Memorial AME Zion Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Eduardo H. Gato House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Key West.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 6, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?