Fort Bliss in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Colonel George Ruhlen
In early 1891 Colonel George Ruhlen, QMC, then Captain, was appointed by the Secretary of War to be in charge of constructing the first buildings on Ft. Bliss at its present site on La Noria Mesa.
Location. 31° 48.515′ N, 106° 26.239′ W. Marker is in Fort Bliss, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is on Sheridan Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: El Paso TX 79906, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Wallace Smith Bliss Monument (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quarters 236 Sheridan (about 600 feet away); Initial Construction Period (about 700 feet away); First Expansion Period (approx. 0.2 miles away); Polk House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joshua Micah Mills (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historical Building 241 - The Guardhouse, 1893 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Abrams House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Bliss.
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2017, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 137 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 12, 2017, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.