Wewahitchka in Gulf County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Place, or Richard's Fort, five miles south, erected in the early 1800's is considered as the forerunner of Wewahitchka. People lived in the area earlier. Wewahitchka (Indian name for water eyes), first permanent settlement in now Gulf County, was named by Rev. John W. Richards in 1875 upon completion of the log church and school built to serve approximately 25 families. Citrus groves, apiaries, livestock and timber supported the early settlers. First paper was the Calhoun Times in 1883.
Erected 1975 by The Gulf County Golden Anniversary Commission and the St. Joseph Historical Society.
Location. 30° 6.909′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 North 2nd Street, Wewahitchka FL 32465, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gulf County Old Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Fort Crèvecoeur (approx. 17.6 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 509 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.