Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
soft drinks originated in Columbus.
John S. Pemberton, who in 1859
operated a pharmacy on Broadway,
developed "French Wine Coca," the
popular drink which was later
marketed as "Coca-Cola." Claud A. Hatcher,
also a pharmacist, developed the
formula for "Chero-Cola" and organized
the Chero-Cola Company in 1912, his
firm introduced "Nehi" drinks in 1924
and "Royal Crown Cola" in 1934.
Location. 32° 27.446′ N, 84° 59.715′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker can be reached from Front Avenue north of West 6th Street. Touch for map. Located between the railroad tracks and the Chattahoochee Riverwalk (below). Marker is at or near this postal address: Front Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mass - Produced Ice Machines (here, next to this marker); Early Industrial Center (here, next to this marker); Fort Benning (here, next to this marker); Industrial District (a few steps from this marker); Carson McCullers (1917 - 1967) Nunnally Johnson (1897-1977) (within shouting distance of this marker); Augusta Jane Evans (1835-1909) (within shouting distance of this marker); Prize-Winning Newspapers (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Georgia Encyclopedia article on John Stith Pemberton and Coca-Cola. (Submitted on February 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Wikipedia article on Nehi. (Submitted on February 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 258 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.