Montevallo in Shelby County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The President's Oval Oﬃce/The Glorious Burden
In this building is a full-scale replica of the White House Oval Office.
When John and Abigail Adams first moved into The White House in 1800, it contained three oval rooms, inspired by design changes President George Washington made to the Morris House in Philadelphia, where he and Martha lived during his Presidency.
Theodore Roosevelt ordered construction of the West Wing in 1902, where he had a rectangular shaped office. In 1900, William Howard Taft had the first Presidential Oval Office built in the center of the West Wing. It contained no windows. In 1934, Franklin D. Roosevelt relocated The Oval Office to its present spot on the corner of The West Wing and added exterior windows and doors for improved lighting.
The ornate Resolute Desk, a gift from Queen Victoria is the room's most recognizable piece. All Presidents decorate the Oval Office with furniture and pictures to suit their own personal tastes and needs. However, a portrait of George Washington is always present.
The U. S. Presidency has often been called "The Glorious Burden". In 1787, delegates to the Constitution Convention created the office specifically with George
Today, much of the majesty and power of the office comes form the many precedents established by the Father of Our Country. The first occurred when taking the oath of office as written as written in the Constitution. Washington added at the end, "so help me God," and every President since has repeated it.
The Constitution gives Congress more than two dozen specific functions but only seven for the President, and one of those is a speech, The State of the Union Address. As result, Washington established most of the rules by which all Presidents are guided. The function of his Cabinet, the relationship with Congress, and even the concept of Executive Privilege were created by George Washington.
Erected by Erected as an Eagle Scout Project of J. Madison Gibbens, III Pelham, Alabama Troop 367.
Location. 33° 8.443′ N, 86° 49.717′ W. Marker is in Montevallo, Alabama, in Shelby County. Marker can be reached from Montevallo Road (Alabama Route 119) 0.3 miles south of Alex Mill Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Washington Hall/Birth of A Nation (a few steps from this marker); The Lucille Ryals Thompson Colonial Chapel/One Nation Under God (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Colonial Courthouse/The Stocks and Pillory (about 500 feet away); The Liberty Bell (about 600 feet away); The Liberty Bell Garden (about 600 feet away); Harless Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); King House (approx. 3.2 miles away); University Of Montevallo National Historic District (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montevallo.
Also see . . . American Village. (Submitted on February 22, 2017.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2017, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on February 23, 2017, by Ray Soller of P'tree Corners, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 21, 2017, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.