Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lapeer in Lapeer County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lapeer County

 
 
Lapeer County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
1. Lapeer County Marker
Inscription. Set off by Gov. Cass in 1822, this county took its name from the French La Pierre, a translation of the Indian name for the Flint River. Settlers began to arrive in 1828. The county seat, founded in 1831, was also named Lapeer. Organization of the county government took place in 1835. This courthouse, built in 1839, is the oldest one still in use in Michigan. Farming is the county's principal economic activity, and it was here that the first local Grange in Michigan was founded in 1872.
 
Erected by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number 175.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 3.261′ N, 83° 18.645′ W. Marker is in Lapeer, Michigan, in Lapeer County. Marker is at the intersection of West Nepessing Street and North Court Street, on the right when traveling east on West Nepessing Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Courthouse Square, Lapeer MI 48446, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Protecting the Impaired (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tuttle House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lapeer Public Library
Lapeer County Marker and Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
2. Lapeer County Marker and Courthouse
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Marguerite deAngeli Branch Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Richardson, D.O. a generous gentleman. (approx. 8.6 miles away); Columbiaville Depot (approx. 8.6 miles away); United Methodist Church (approx. 8.6 miles away); The William Peter Mansion (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lapeer.
 
Regarding Lapeer County. A new courthouse was built around 1980 and this building is no longer used as a courthouse.
 
Categories. AgricultureGovernmentSettlements & Settlers
 
Courtroom on the Second Floor image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
3. Courtroom on the Second Floor
Lapeer County Courthouse: Greek Revival in the Michigan Forest image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
4. Lapeer County Courthouse: Greek Revival in the Michigan Forest
Framed document on the first floor of the courthouse describing the history of the courthouse.
Rededication Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
5. Rededication Plaque
This plaque is the large one immediately to the left of the front doors.
Lapeer County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
6. Lapeer County Courthouse
One of the 10 oldest in the United States
1846
Court sessions have been held in this building each year since its first owner, Lapeer pioneer judge Alvin N. Hart, held court here in April 1847
Presented by the Michigan State Society of National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century
1996
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 259 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 23, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement