Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbiaville in Lapeer County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Columbiaville Depot

 
 
Columbiaville Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
1. Columbiaville Depot Marker
Inscription. In the nineteenth century, railroads provided the prime transportation link between small villages and the rest of the country. The first Columbiaville depot was built near this site in 1872. In 1893 William Peter (1824-1899) replaced that structure with this small Romanesque inspired depot with its rounded-arch, beveled-glass windows. Peter, Columbiaville's dominant merchant and a millionaire lumber baron, built the new depot in an effort to spur the development of the village and assure the continued growth of his many businesses. By prior agreement, he gave the building to the Detroit-Bay City Railroad Company in exchange for having a line run through the community. The property was deeded to the company for one dollar in 1893. It served as a train station until 1964. The depot now houses the Columbiaville Rotary Club and a public library.
 
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L750.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 9.355′ N, 83° 24.535′ W. Marker is in Columbiaville, Michigan, in Lapeer County. Marker is on First Street south of Pine Street (Route 44), on the left when
Columbiaville Depot and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
2. Columbiaville Depot and Marker
traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is on the building south of the Post Office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4422 First Street, Columbiaville MI 48421, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Richardson, D.O. a generous gentleman. (here, next to this marker); United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The William Peter Mansion (about 700 feet away); E. S. Swayze Drugstore (approx. 5.9 miles away); Laing-Mason House (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Tuttle House (approx. 8.3 miles away); Lapeer Public Library (approx. 8.6 miles away); Marguerite deAngeli Branch Library (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbiaville.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
Columbiaville Depot National Register of Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
3. Columbiaville Depot National Register of Historic Places Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 344 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 24, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement