Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbiaville in Lapeer County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

United Methodist Church

 
 
United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
1. United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. This handsome Romanesque structure was completed in 1897 for the Methodist Protestant Church of Columbiaville. Local Methodists, with the assistance of circuit riders, had organized the church some forty years earlier. In 1865 the congregation erected a parsonage. They held church services there until 1880, when their first church was built. That early church was struck by lightning and burned in 1896. The following year, this red brick church was completed on the same site at cost of $3,000. It has also been used for school graduation and baccalaureate ceremonies and other community gatherings.
 
Erected 1986 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1162.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 9.345′ N, 83° 24.613′ W. Marker is in Columbiaville, Michigan, in Lapeer County. Marker is at the intersection of Pine Street (County Route 44) and Second Street (Route 44) when traveling east on Pine Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4696 Pine Street, Columbiaville MI 48421, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Richardson, D.O. a generous gentleman.
United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
2. United Methodist Church and Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbiaville Depot (about 400 feet away); The William Peter Mansion (about 400 feet away); E. S. Swayze Drugstore (approx. 5.8 miles away); Laing-Mason House (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Tuttle House (approx. 8.4 miles away); Lapeer Public Library (approx. 8.6 miles away); Marguerite deAngeli Branch Library (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbiaville.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 167 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 24, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement