Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richville in Tuscola County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf

 
 
The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
1. The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf Marker
Inscription. One of four Bavarian settlements in the Saginaw Valley was founded here in June 1850, with the arrival of two families and a pastor. Frankenhilf, which means "Help of the Franconians" remained the community name until it later was changed to Richville. The first home was built with a special large room which was dedicated August 17, 1850, and served as the first site for worship services. The home was located in the northwest corner of the site that is now the church cemetery. Having grown to 21 families, the parish erected a 36x25 log church and dedicated it on St. Michael and All Angels Sunday 1853. It's location is marked by a stone in the church cemetery. At this time the church name, St. Michael's, was adopted. By 1875, the community had grown to 35 families and a 75x40 frame church was erected and dedicated on St. Michael and All Angels Sunday of that year. This monument marks the location of this church which served the parish for 96 years. It was razed in 1971. The third St. Michael's church was occupied March 21, 1971 and was formally dedicated on St. Michael and All Angels Sunday September 26, 1971.

Member of
The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod

This memorial was erected by a grateful congregation to mark the site of Saint Michael's second church which served to the glory of God and upbuilding
The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
2. The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf Marker
of his kingdom from 1875 to 1971.

"Remember the days of old." Deuteronomy 32:7

 
Erected by St. Michael's Lutheran Church.
 
Location. 43° 24.527′ N, 83° 40.768′ W. Marker is in Richville, Michigan, in Tuscola County. Marker is at the intersection of South Van Buren Road and Sanilac Road (Route 46), on the right on South Van Buren Road. Touch for map. Marker is also 0.1 mile south of West Saginaw Road (Route 15). Marker is at or near this postal address: 3455 South Van Buren Road, Richville MI 48758, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frankenhilf (within shouting distance of this marker); Frankenmuth Woolen Mill (approx. 6.3 miles away); Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn Restaurant (approx. 6 miles away); Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn (approx. 6 miles away); Michigan's German Settlers (approx. 6 miles away); Watrous General Store (approx. 8.3 miles away); Juniata House (approx. 8.3 miles away); Watrousville United Methodist Church (approx. 8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Frankenhilf History. (Submitted on February 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
The Third St. Michael's Lutheran Church Building image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
3. The Third St. Michael's Lutheran Church Building
View from the parking lot.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 110 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Stone in the church cemetery marking the location of the first church building and a view of the current church from Sanilac Road (Route 46). • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement