Near Fort Valley in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Birthplace of the CCC
Camp Roosevelt, NF-1
The CCC-boys were part of the greatest single conservation movement in history. As they worked, they learned—and regained—the confidence of men doing a job.
The Roosevelt Administration mobilized this vast supply of willing manpower into what later became known as the “army with shovels.” The young men also became known as “Roosevelt’s boys,” as they still refer to themselves today.
You are standing at the center of the pioneer camp—the first of 1,643 CCC Camps established across the country. The foundations are the only visible reminders of this camp, but the memories and legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps remain standards of excellence for all time.
“We Can Take It!” After endless detours and truck breakdowns, the first contingent of the Civilian Conservation Corps slogged through the mud into the George Washington National Forest on April 17, 1933. Their first task was
Camp Roosevelt’s Legacy. The CCC accomplishments of Camp Roosevelt were many. The boys of NF-1 built and maintained the road through Fort Valley and the Crisman Hollow Road; constructed the popular Elizabeth Furnace, New Market Gap, and Little Fort Recreation Areas; and built Powell’s Fort Organization Camp. Woodstock Tower, with its view of the seven bends of the Shenandoah River, was a cooperative venture of the citizens of Woodstock and the CCC. They also planted trees and fought forest fires.
In 1966, this recreation area was dedicated was dedicated to the “boys of Roosevelt”—the men who helped shape the land conservation ethic we hold dear today.
Erected by the Lee Ranger District, George Washington National Forest.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 38° 43.8′ N, 78° 31.02′ W. Marker is near Fort Valley, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker can be reached from Camp Roosevelt Road (County Route 675) 10 miles east of U.S. 11, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert Fechner Memorial Forest (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Mess Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mauck Meeting House (approx. 4.9 miles away); Calendine (approx. 5 miles away); Fort Philip Long (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fisher’s Hill and Yager’s Mill (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Valley.
Also see . . .
1. Civilian Conservation Corps Legacy. “April 7, 1933 marked the first day of recruitment for the young enrollees of Roosevelt’s Tree Army and Henry Rich from Alexandria ,VA, became recognized as America's first CCC Enrollee. On April 17, Rich was among the first contingent (Submitted on December 30, 2007.)
2. CCC History. “I propose to create a Civilian Conservation Corps to be used in simple work, not interfering with normal employment, and confining itself to forestry, the prevention of soil erosion, flood control, and similar projects.” —Franklin D. Roosevelt, March 21, 1933 (Submitted on December 30, 2007.)
Additional keywords. Civilian Conservation Corps, CCC, FDR, Franklin Roosevelt, Great Depression, 1930s, New Deal.
Categories. • 20th Century • Charity & Public Work • Education • Natural Resources • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2007, by Franklin Bell of Bluemont, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,177 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on August 12, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on December 27, 2007, by Franklin Bell of Bluemont, Virginia. 2. submitted on December 28, 2007, by Franklin Bell of Bluemont, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 23, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 28, 2007, by Franklin Bell of Bluemont, Virginia. 10, 11, 12. submitted on May 23, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.