Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Watrousville in Tuscola County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Watrous General Store

 
 
Watrous General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
1. Watrous General Store Marker
Inscription. Aaron Watrous and his crew of loggers came here in 1852 to cut the virgin pine of the Cass River Valley. In 1860 he platted the town, naming it Watrousville, and a few years later constructed this building as a general store. The flagpole in front is thought to have been erected during the 1864 presidential campaign. Watrous died in 1868, and in 1882 the building became the Juniata Township Hall. Since 1972 it has been a museum of the Watrousville-Caro Area Historical Society.
 
Erected 1973 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L239.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 27.112′ N, 83° 31.559′ W. Marker is in Watrousville, Michigan, in Tuscola County. Marker is at the intersection of West Caro Road (State Highway 81) and Second Street, on the left when traveling west on West Caro Road. Touch for map. Watrousville is an unincorporated community about 6 miles west of Caro. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4607 West Caro Road, Vassar MI 48768, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Juniata House (within shouting distance of this marker); Watrousville United Methodist Church
Watrous General Store and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
2. Watrous General Store and Marker
View from the northwest. Marker is at the very left of the image.
(approx. mile away); Tuscola County Fair (approx. 6.8 miles away); Peninsular Sugar Refining Company (approx. 6.8 miles away); William H. Carson House (approx. 6.9 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); First Meeting of the Caro Rotary Club (approx. 6.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Caro (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Watrousville.
 
Also see . . .  The Lincoln Flag Pole. (Submitted on February 26, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Watrous General Store and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
3. Watrous General Store and Marker
View from the northeast.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement