Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Griffin

 
 
Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Griffin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, February 12, 2017
1. Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Griffin Marker
Inscription. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) operated nationwide between 1933 and 1942 to conserve natural resources and to provide work for young men during the Great Depression. The Federal program provided employment for 2.5 million young men working out of 3,000 camps. Roughly 50,000 Texans were enrolled in the CCC and made a significant contribution to the development of the state’s park system. The colorful frontier history of Fort Griffin and the need for its preservation prompted citizens of Shackelford County to donate the historic site to the state. The National Park Service approved a new CCC camp at Fort Griffin State Park in 1939. Crews from existing camps in Cleburne and Lockhart arrived in 1939 and 1940. In the spring of 1940, as original company members were discharged, local area men signed up and were assigned to Fort Griffin. Many of these men enrolled in classes at the camp and local high school, and participated in local sports and activities.

Around 200 men completed a stone pavilion, park roads, 24 table and bench combinations, 14 camp fire places, two latrines, surveys of the park, a water drainage system and entrance gate, and planted trees and shrubs on hundreds of acres. Although some local groups hoped that the focus would be on the restoration of historical features, most of the work completed at the time
Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Griffin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, February 12, 2017
2. Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Griffin Marker
was on recreational amenities. The rock gate, roads, fort ruins and pavilion remain at the site. The camp was abandoned on Dec. 1, 1941. Many of the young men went straight into military service and WWII. In the 1940s, many buildings used by the CCC were moved to military camps or schools throughout Texas.

175 Years of Texas Independence ★ 1836 - 2011

 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16822.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
 
Location. 32° 55.341′ N, 99° 13.962′ W. Marker is near Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of U.S. 283 and Park Road 58. Touch for map. Marker is located in Fort Griffin State Historic Site. The above directions are to the entrance to the historic site. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Griffin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Russell Young Gilbert (approx. half a mile away); Frontier Town of Fort Griffin (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Western Cattle Trail Crossings at Fort Griffin
Original Rock Gate Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, February 12, 2017
3. Original Rock Gate Entrance
Entrance to Fort Griffin SHS from US Route 283
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Griffin Civil Jail (approx. ¾ mile away); Fort Griffin Lodge Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away); Family Forts, C.S.A. (approx. 0.9 miles away); Black Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
 
Also see . . .  Official Website of Fort Griffin State Historic Site. (Submitted on February 26, 2017.)
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2017, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 90 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2017, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement