Jackson in Clarke County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
City of Jackson
First home of Creek and Choctaw Indians, Jackson’s first pioneer settlers arrived about 1800. The little village was first called Republicville, then Pine Level, before its incorporation by an act of the Mississippi Territory Legislature in 1816. It was then named Jackson, after President Andrew Jackson, who was also a popular general. A plat of the town was drawn up and plots were advertised all over the South. Some of the street names, notably Commerce, Florida, Carrol and Broad, are still in existence. The town sprang up overnight and had a population of 1,500. The town made a brief decline before the coming of the railroad, in 1888, spurred Jackson’s second growth. A drawbridge span was built over the Tombigbee River when the Mobile to Birmingham Railway was constructed. With the railroad came the timbermen. The Bigbee Lumber Co., C. W. Zimmerman Manufacturing Co., Bolen Brothers, Hemphill, McGowin and Slayton, McCorquodale Brothers, and M. W. Smith were all sawmill concerns.
Ochre Mining was another big business in Jackson. The clay material was used for pottery, bricks, paint, fertilizer and more. The name of Ochre Avenue is the last remnant of Sample-Williams Clay and Color
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Jackson.
Location. 31° 30.465′ N, 87° 53.753′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Alabama, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Commerce Street (Alabama Route 177) and Magnolia Drive, on the right when traveling west on Commerce Street. Touch for map. Located in front of Jackson City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 350 Commerce Street, Jackson AL 36545, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jackson (here, next to this marker); C S A Brooke Cannon S-96 (a few steps from this marker); The Clarke County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kimbell House Jackson Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Taylor House (approx. 3.6 miles away); Central Salt Works (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama article on Jackson, Alabama. (Submitted on February 26, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 196 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 26, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.