Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Clarke County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station

1896—1936

 
 
First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
1. First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station Marker
Inscription. On this site was located the First District Agricultural College, authorized by an act of the Alabama Legislature and opened in 1896. The street in front was changed from Grove Hill Road to College Avenue in honor of the new school. An Experimental Station was established about ½ mile north on what is now a shopping center and housing area. The 1927 State Legislature established a Demonstration Farm operated jointly by the school and the extension farm agent. The farm was alongside the Coffeeville Road 1 ½ miles north of here. The farm was terminated and sold in 1939.

The purposes of the college were: to teach scientific and practical agriculture; to educate and train young men and women for teachers in the public schools of the state; to prepare those who wished to pursue a course of higher institutions of learning; and to give a good practical education to those who could not attend such institutions. The school was significant to the education, social and cultural life of Clarke and surrounding counties. Subsequently renamed, First District Agricultural School, and later, State Secondary Agricultural School, the 3-storied building was demolished and the graded and high school were consolidated in a new brick building in 1936.
 
Erected 1990 by Clarke County Historical
Marker in front of the Alabama Southern Community College - Jackson Campus. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
2. Marker in front of the Alabama Southern Community College - Jackson Campus.
Society.
 
Location. 31° 30.821′ N, 87° 53.668′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Alabama, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of College Avenue (Alabama Route 177) and West Clinton Street, on the right when traveling south on College Avenue. Touch for map. In front of the Alabama Southern Community College - Jackson Campus. Marker is at or near this postal address: 235 College Avenue, Jackson AL 36545, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. C S A Brooke Cannon S-96 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jackson (approx. 0.4 miles away); City of Jackson (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Clarke County War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Kimbell House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jackson Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Taylor House (approx. 3.7 miles away); Central Salt Works (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Categories. AgricultureEducation
 
View of marker looking south on College Avenue. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
3. View of marker looking south on College Avenue.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 110 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement