Lackawanna River Foot-Bridge
This plaque is in commemoration of the foot-bridge that connected the downtown Main Street business area with Salem Street and St. Thomas Church. The foot-bridge crossed the Lackawanna River and was located between the Gilmartin Street Bridge and the Monroe Street Bridge. The bridge was constructed approximately in the 1880s and once again rebuilt in 1909/10 after flooding. The bridge remained in service till May 22, 1942 when it was washed under the Wayne Street Bridge, this being the largest flood recorded in history with the river cresting at 10.58 feet. The picture here shows the bridge and its importance to the community of Archbald. This was generously donated by Gene and Shirley Barrett along with a Grant from Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority.
Erected by Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority and Others.
Location. 41° 29.824′ N, 75° 32.443′ W. Marker is in Archbald, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker is on Main Street north of Wayne Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 474 North Main Street, Archbald PA 18403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured
Also see . . . Borough of Archbold PA. (Submitted on February 26, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 26, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.