Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Caro in Tuscola County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Presbyterian Church of Caro

 
 
First Presbyterian Church of Caro Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
1. First Presbyterian Church of Caro Marker
Inscription. Twelve persons organized the First Presbyterian Church of Caro in December 1878. The Reverend Edward P. Clark, the Presbyterian minister at Vassar, conducted the organizational meeting with the assistance of the Reverend R.P. Shaw of Bedford, Indiana. For the first year, this small group of Presbyterians held their worship and prayer services in the homes of members. Then, in 1880, they erected their first house of worship on Lincoln and Pearl streets. The present limestone and brick church was begun in 1902 and dedicated on December 13, 1903. It has had no structural alterations since construction. A regal structure, it features a corner tower and stained-glass windows.
 
Erected 1985 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1257.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 29.465′ N, 83° 23.839′ W. Marker is in Caro, Michigan, in Tuscola County. Marker is at the intersection of North Almer Street and West Lincoln Street, on the left when traveling north on North Almer Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 North Almer Street, Caro MI 48723, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
First Presbyterian Church of Caro and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
2. First Presbyterian Church of Caro and Marker
within walking distance of this marker. Caro Masonic Temple (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tuscola County Advertiser (approx. 0.2 miles away); William H. Carson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Meeting of the Caro Rotary Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tuscola County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tuscola County Fair (approx. 0.6 miles away); Peninsular Sugar Refining Company (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caro.
 
Also see . . .  About Us. More history of the First Presbyterian Church of Caro with many quotations from the book The First Hundred Years: A History of the Founding and Progress of The First Presbyterian Church of Caro by Dorr N. Wiltse, Sr. (1978). (Submitted on February 27, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
First Presbyterian Church of Caro Sign image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
3. First Presbyterian Church of Caro Sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 94 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement