Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Peninsula Defense Line

 
 
First Peninsula Defense Line Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. First Peninsula Defense Line Marker
Inscription. Earthworks on the hillside above mark the southernmost of three fortified cross-peninsula defense lines built by Confederate Gen. John B. Magruder in the spring of 1862 and extending three miles from Deep Creek here at Young’s Mill, to the Poquoson River at Harwood’s Mill. Although rated formidable by Union Gen. C.D. Keys, this line was abandoned in favor of a firm stand on the second defense line at Lee’s Mill, April 5, 1862.
 
Erected 1977 by United Daughters of the Confederacy, Bethel Chapter.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
 
Location. 37° 6.357′ N, 76° 30.828′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Old Grist Mill Lane and Warwick Blvd (U.S. 60), on the left when traveling west on Old Grist Mill Lane. Touch for map. Marker is located across the street from Young's Mill. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23602, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Young’s Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Mathews Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Young’s Mill
Marker near Warwick Blvd image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker near Warwick Blvd
The earthworks here protected the Great Warwick Road, one of the few roads leading from Fort Monroe to Williamsburg.
(within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Young’s Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Providence Mennonite Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Denbigh Parish (approx. ¼ mile away); Two USCT Heroes (approx. 1.1 miles away); Warwick County Confederate Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
 
Also see . . .  The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on August 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
First Peninsula Defense Line Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. First Peninsula Defense Line Marker
Gen. Magruder established a base here at Young's Mill in 1861, which would be the right flank of his first defensive line on the peninsula.
Young’s Mill image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
4. Young’s Mill
The marker is across the street from this 1820 mill which was the site of a major Confederate camp in 1861-62.
First Peninsula Defense Line image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
5. First Peninsula Defense Line
These earthworks, located in the woods south of the marker, was part of Confederate Gen. John Magruder's first line of defense.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 986 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement