Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Nuns of the Battleﬁeld
Civil War Nurses Memorial
They comforted the dying, Nursed the wounded, carried hope to the imprisoned, gave in His name a drink of water to the thirsty.
The Various Orders of Sisters
who gave their services as nurses on battlefields
and in hospitals during the Civil War.
Erected by the Ladies Auxiliary to the Ancient Order of Hibernians of America, A.D. 1924
by authorities of the Congress of the United States.
Erected 1924 by the Ladies Auxiliary to the Ancient Order of Hibernians of America.
Location. 38° 54.348′ N, 77° 2.413′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Rhode Island Avenue NW and M Street, NW, on the right when traveling east on Rhode Island Avenue NW. Touch for map. Opposite St. Matthew's Cathedral. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle (within shouting distance of this marker); General Federation of Women’s Clubs (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Renaissance Mayflower Hotel (about 500 feet away); The National Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Charles Sumner School Museum and Archives (about 500 feet away); John Witherspoon (about 600 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nunziato DiPerna (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
Also see . . . Civil War Nurses - Nuns of the Battlefield Memorial. (Submitted on August 12, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,819 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 12, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.