New Smyrna Beach in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dug during the 1770's by the settlers and still in use today. It was covered in 1924 by the sidewalk on the north side of Canal Street from Myrtle Avenue to Riverside Drive.
Erected 1968 by Jane Sheldon Chapter National Society D.A.R.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 29° 1.541′ N, 80° 55.264′ W. Marker is in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is at the intersection of North Riverside Drive and Canal Street, on the right when traveling south on North Riverside Drive. Touch for map. Marker is on short pillar on the corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Canal Street, New Smyrna Beach FL 32168, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The New Smyrna Odyssey (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1768 British Colony of New Smyrna (about 500 feet away); Anniversary of Shelling by Union Gunboats Site of Sheldon's New Smyrna Hotel (about 600 feet away); To the Past... (about 700 feet away); Dr. Andrew Turnbull (about 700 feet away); Site of Old Stone Wharf (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old St. Rita Colored Mission Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Smyrna Beach.
Categories. • Agriculture • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 5, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.