Faust Brothers Building
Today the building, also known as the Appold-Faust Building, is one of less than a dozen cast-iron front buildings remaining in the city and the only known building with two cast-iron facades. The Faust Brothers Building stands as a physical reminder of the city’s prominence in cast-iron building construction.
With its proximity to both rail lines and the docks at the Inner Harbor, the Westside of downtown Baltimore was a center of light manufacturing in the 1800s and early 1900s. The five-story building was originally built as a warehouse for George Appold, a businessman with interests in the leather, real estate, and marine transport industries. Appold hired builder Benjamin Bennett to erect the building, notable for its elaborate cornice and façade composed of arches framed by Corinthian columns. The ironwork on the Baltimore Street façade was likely cast by the Bartlett, Robins & Company, a leading Baltimore firm.
In 1875, Appold sold
Many of Baltimore’s cast-iron buildings were demolished as a result of urban renewal schemes in the latter half of the 20th century. Additionally, a substantial number were lost in the Great Fire of 1904. On the morning of February 7, 1904, a fire broke out just one hundred yards east of the Faust Brothers Building. The prevailing winds blew the fire east toward the Inner Harbor, sparing this building but consuming 1,400 structures in downtown Baltimore during a span of 36 hours.
The building has continued to adapt and survive. Rehabilitated in 2007, the Faust Brothers Building houses offices and space for retail establishments.
(Inscriptions under the image on the right)
The Baltimore Shoe House operated from the building in the early 1900s. A “leading shoe concern,” The company was “founded on the rock of square dealing” according to an advertisement in the 1910 publication The Jews
Accent Development Company, Sponsor-Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, Mayor. Baltimore City Landmark, National Register of Historic Places, Baltimore National Heritage Area.
Location. 39° 17.322′ N, 76° 37.206′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on West Baltimore Street. Touch for map. The marker is located at the rear entrance to the building on Redwood Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Baltimore & Frederick-Town Turnpike (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baltimore Arts Tower (about 400 feet away); Baltimore College of Dental Surgery (about 700 feet away); Inner Harbor Lofts (about 700 feet away); Wilkens Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Davidge Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Beloved General (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Burial Place of Edgar Allan Poe (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Architecture • Disasters • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 93 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 6, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.