Orchard Street Church
Truman Pratt, a former slave of John Eager Howard, founded the congregation in 1825. In 1837, the employers of Pratt’s wife donated land at Orchard Street near Ross Street (now Druid Hill Avenue) on which to build a church. According to legend, slaves and freeman built the church at night under the flickering light of torches held by the women. The first church was completed in 1839. A second church stood on this site from 1853 to 1882.
“Father Pratt, “ as Truman Pratt came to be called, was not an ordained minister, but acted as elder and trustee of the church. He remained an active participant in the church’s activities until his death in 1877 at the age of 102.
Demolition threatened this historic church in the early 1970s, but the intervention of neighborhood groups saved the building for future generations.
(Inscription under the image on the right)
Interior, Orchard Street Church.
Location. 39° 17.852′ N, 76° 37.433′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Orchard Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 512 Orchard Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary's Seminary Chapel (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mary's Seminary (about 700 feet away); Chapel of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Temple (about 700 feet away); Mother Seton House (about 700 feet away); Take a Stroll Down the Main Street of the African American Experience (about 700 feet away); The Oblate Sisters of Providence (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Eager Howard (approx. 0.2 miles away); King Gambrinus, 1879 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.