Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Peter Claver Church

 
 
St. Peter Claver Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 11, 2017
1. St. Peter Claver Church Marker
Inscription. “The Church will have its glory in triumph in the colored race, and, for aught I know, be the salvation of this nation.” So stated the Rt. Reverend A.A. Curtis, Bishop of Wilmington, Delaware, in his dedication service for St. Peter Claver Church, on September 9, 1888. Founded by the Josephite Fathers, it was the first parish in the world dedicated to St. Peter Claver, the “Apostle of the Slaves,” who was canonized on January 15, 1888 by pope Leo XIII.

The parish, founded from St. Francis Xavier parish, was created to serve black Catholics in the western section of the city, and to provide training for students at St. Joseph Seminary. Father Charles Randolph Uncles, the first black priest trained and ordained in the U.S., practiced here as well as St. Mary’s Seminary.

Housed in the old Whatcoat Methodist Episcopal Church on Carlisle Street, the parish remodeled its building in 1905, retaining only a portion of the original structure.

St. Peter Claver himself was born in Verdue, Spain in 1580. As a member of the Society of Jesus, he sailed in 1610 to Cartagena, Colombia, where he worked for 44 years among slaves. Despite the horrible conditions within the slave ships, he entered them to feed, bathe, and doctor the slaves. He also taught and baptized them; by the time of his death he has converted

St. Peter Claver Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 11, 2017
2. St. Peter Claver Church Marker
more than 300,000.

(Inscription under the image in the upper left)
St. Peter Claver Church, 1888.

(Inscription under the image in the upper right)
Father Uncles.

Democratic Women, Sponsor, St. Peter Claver Church, Sponsor, William Donald Schaefer, Mayor-Baltimore City Landmark
 
Location. 39° 18.376′ N, 76° 38.314′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on North Fremont Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1542 North Fremont Avenue, Baltimore MD 21217, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Take a Stroll Down the Main Street of the African American Experience (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nurturing the Arts (approx. ¼ mile away); Diversity in a Segregated Community (approx. ¼ mile away); Thurgood Marshall House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Community Growth and Faith (approx. 0.3 miles away); Buy Where You Can Work Campaign & Higher Education (approx. 0.4 miles away); Building Community Organizations (approx. 0.4 miles away); J. Howard Payne (1887-1960) House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Categories. African AmericansCharity & Public WorkChurches & Religion

 
St. Peter Claver Church image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 11, 2017
3. St. Peter Claver Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 102 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement