in land acquired by sixteen residents of
Norwich and nearby towns from Mohegan Indian
chief Joshua, son of Uncas. This tract was
incorporated as the town of Windham in 1692.
At that time the families of Samuel Hide,
Jonathan Hough, and John Royce were living at
Pond Place, later named Mansfield Center.
Partly because of hazards encountered in
crossing the “bad and dangerous” Natchaug
River, differences arose about location of
the meetinghouse. In May, 1702 Joseph Hall,
representing Windham, petitioned the General
Assembly to divide Windham into two towns.
This was granted under certain conditions:
the new town must pay arrears of parish taxes
and continue supporting the Windham Church
until Mansfield secured “an able orthodox
minister of the gospel.” In May, 1703 the
General Assembly defined the boundaries of
Following establishment of the First Church
of Christ at Mansfield Center in 1710, the
population grew so rapidly that before long
the town was divided into north and south
parishes, and the Second Congregational
Church of Mansfield was established in 1744.
estimated population in 1974 was 20,000.
Erected 1975 by Town of Mansfield, the Mansfield Historical Society, and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 46.128′ N, 72° 11.749′ W. Marker is in Mansfield Center, Connecticut, in Tolland County. Marker is on Warrenville Road (Connecticut Route 89) half a mile north of Route 195, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. This marker is in front of the Mansfield Public Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 54 Warrenville Road, Mansfield Center CT 06250, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain Nathan Hale Monument (approx. 5.7 miles away); Moor’s Charity School (approx. 7.1 miles away); Eleazar Wheelock D.D. (approx. 7.1 miles away); Columbia (approx. 7.2 miles away); Willington (approx. 7.3 miles away); Constitution Oak (approx. 8.1 miles away); Ashford (approx. 8.1 miles away); a different marker also named Willington (approx. 8.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Mansfield Center. (Submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. Mansfield. (Submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 227 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.