Thompson in Windham County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
“Quinnatisset”, now included in the town of
Thompson, was settled in 1693. The first
settler, Richard Evans of Rehoboth,
Massachusetts, purchased 200 acres in the
vicinity of Quinnatisset Hill. At first part
of Killingly, Thompson was incorporated in
1785 as a distinct town and derived its name
from its principal landholder, Sir Robert
Thompson of Middlesex, England.
Many examples of early architecture can be
seen preserved in the dwellings and public
buildings of Thompson. The Vernon Stiles
Inn, established in 1814, was a favorite stop
for travelers along the Boston to Hartford
and Providence to Springfield “pikes”.
moved in 1963 to Old Sturbridge Village, where
it stands as a monument to early mill town
culture. The Old Town Hall, dating from 1842,
remains on the west side of the Common, and
the Congregational Church, completed in 1856,
stands on the east side.
Ellen D. Larned (1825-1912), historian and
author of the History of Windham County,
resided here on Thompson Hill. Ithiel Town
(1784-1844), noted architect, was
native of Thompson.
Erected by Thompson Historical Society, the Town of Thompson, and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 57.513′ N, 71° 51.773′ W. Marker is in Thompson, Connecticut, in Windham County. Marker is at the intersection of Thompson Road (Connecticut Route 193) and Thomson Hill Road (Route 200), on the left when traveling north on Thompson Road. Touch for map. The marker is on the Common opposite Thompson Congregational Church. Marker is in this post office area: Thompson CT 06277, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chaubunagungamaug (approx. 6 miles away in Massachusetts); Old Maanexit Ford (approx. 9.3 miles away in Massachusetts); The Johnson Massacre (approx. 9.8 miles away in Massachusetts); Pomfret (approx. 9.8 miles away); Huguenot Settlement (approx. 10.4 miles away in Massachusetts); Killingly Civil War Monument (approx. 10½ miles away); Killingly World War II Monument (approx. 10½ miles away); Killingly (approx. 10.6 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Thompson. (Submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. Old Sturbridge Village. (Submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 250 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 14, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.