Warren in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant
In 1940 the U.S. Army and the Chrysler Corporation hired Detroit architect Albert Kahn to design a self-contained tank plant. Kahn specialized in factories. In 1941 he designed 20 million square feet of defense plants. The first tank rolled off the assembly line at the sprawling Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant on April 24th, 1941, amid cheering spectators. The December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor thrust the U.S. into the Second World War and tank plant workers into round-the-clock production. President Franklin Roosevelt and his wife, Eleanor, inspected the plant in September 1942. Two months later workers set the monthly record for all U. S. plants by producing 896 tanks. Tank manufacturing ceased here in 1997.
Just two decades after the end of World War I, Europe was again at war. Construction of the Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant began in 1940, before the U.S. became directly involved in the conflict. The 1941 Lend_lease Act committed the U.S. supplying arms to its allies. During World War II the U.S. government contracted with automakers to make tanks, trucks, and planes. William Knudson, president of the General Motors Corporation, led the government's defense production effort. Capitalizing on the auto industry's mass production capabilities, he called on Chrysler Corporation president
Erected 2002 by Michigan Historical Commission-Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number 674.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 29.951′ N, 83° 1.756′ W. Marker was in Warren, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker was on Tank Avenue just east of Donald Court, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is located in a grassy area near one corner of the massive building, surrounded by pine trees. Marker was in this post office area: Warren MI 48092, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Governor Alex J. Groesbeck (approx. 1.2 miles away); General Motors Technical Center (approx. 1.2 miles away); Saint Clement Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Saint Clement Catholic Parish (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Claeys House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Red Run Grist Mill (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Red Run (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warren.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 16, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. 6, 7. submitted on July 26, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.