Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
College Station in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Texas A&M University

 
 
Texas A&M University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, March 8, 2017
1. Texas A&M University Marker
Inscription. The State Legislature authorized the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas April 17, 1871, under terms of the Federal Morrill Act. Constitutionally a part of a chartered, yet-unorganized state university, A&M gained its own directorate in 1875 with Governor Richard Coke as Board President. Brazos Countians provided its 2,416-acre site. Committed to "teach...branches of learning...related to agriculture and mechanic arts...to promote liberal and practical education," A&M opened Oct. 4, 1876, as the first state institution of higher learning actually operating in Texas. Thomas S. Gathright was President. Its original six students in seven academic departments grew to 28,038 students in eleven academic colleges by 1976. Initially an all-male, all-white school, it was desegregated as to color in 1963 and made fully coeducational in 1971. The Legislature recognized its diversified programs and international leadership in education and research by awarding the new name, Texas A&M University, on Aug. 23, 1963. On Sept. 17, 1971, the U.S. Congress made this one of America's first four Sea Grant Colleges. National defense has drawn from Texas A&M thousands of ROTC men, including 29 general officers for World War II.
 
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8699.)
 
Location.
Texas A&M University Marker Location image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, March 8, 2017
2. Texas A&M University Marker Location
30° 37.35′ N, 96° 19.878′ W. Marker is in College Station, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker is at the intersection of New Main Drive and South Texas Avenue (Route 68), on the right when traveling west on New Main Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: College Station TX 77840, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shiloh Community (approx. 1.9 miles away); Route of El Camino Real (approx. 10 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Texas A&M University. (Submitted on March 17, 2017.)
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 113 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement