Simsbury in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
First School House
December 17, 1701
“One place at the Plain...
and the first school to begin there”
Erected 1993 by the Terry’s Plain Homeowners Association.
Location. 41° 52.89′ N, 72° 46.662′ W. Marker is in Simsbury, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Terry's Plain Road and Wintonbury Road, on the left when traveling south on Terry's Plain Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 Terry's Plain Road, Simsbury CT 06070, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Constitution Oak (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First House and Ferry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Militia Training Ground (approx. half a mile away); Simsbury (approx. 1.2 miles away); This Elm Tree (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Landmark Building (approx. 1.3 miles away); Simsbury Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Eno Memorial Hall (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Simsbury.
Regarding First School House. At a December 17, 1701 Town Meeting, a special committee approved the
The Terry’s Plain School continued until 1930, at which time the students were transferred to the new Tariffville School that was built in 1925. The Tariffville School is also on the east side of the river, located about 2 miles to the north. Simsbury’s first school busing contracts were approved in 1929.
This schoolhouse is located in the Terry’s Plain Historic District which in 1993 became listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Also see . . .
1. Terry’s Plain Historic District. (Submitted on March 17, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. Simsbury, CT. (Submitted on March 17, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.