Simsbury in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Militia Training Ground
May 28, 1685
“One day on one syd the river and
an another on the other syd ye river”
John Terry, Ensign
Jeremiah Gillit, Sargent
Erected 1993 by the Terry’s Plain Homeowners Association.
Location. 41° 53.262′ N, 72° 46.823′ W. Marker is in Simsbury, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Terry's Plain Road and Goodrich Road, on the right when traveling north on Terry's Plain Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 Terry's Plain Road, Simsbury CT 06070, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First House and Ferry (approx. 0.3 miles away); First School House (approx. half a mile away); Constitution Oak (approx. half a mile away); Simsbury (approx. 1.2 miles away); This Elm Tree (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Landmark Building (approx. 1.4 miles away); Simsbury Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Eno Memorial Hall (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Simsbury.
Regarding Militia Training Ground. Simsbury was founded in 1670. Three
On May 28, 1685 the Traine Band decided to have their training days divided equally between the west and east side of the Farmington River. John Terry was also chosen as Ensign. The land that this monument is located on was purchased by John Terry in 1677. It is found on the east side of the river.
Also see . . .
1. Terry’s Plain Historic District. (Submitted on March 17, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. Terry’s Plain Historic District. (Submitted on March 17, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.