Simsbury in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
First House and Ferry
Captain Aaron Cook
Site of the Pent Road Ferry
The Traine Band passed here
Erected 1993 by the Terry’s Plain Homeowners Association.
Location. 41° 53.068′ N, 72° 47.053′ W. Marker is in Simsbury, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Ferry Lane and Goodrich Road, on the left when traveling north on Ferry Lane. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 Ferry Lane, Simsbury CT 06070, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Militia Training Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Constitution Oak (approx. 0.4 miles away); First School House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Simsbury (approx. 0.9 miles away); This Elm Tree (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Landmark Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Simsbury Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Eno Memorial Hall (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Simsbury.
Regarding First House and Ferry.
Captain Aaron Cook built his home and developed the land around it. In 1677, he deeded the property to John
The road leading to the ferry crossing was fenced on both sides of the Farmington River so farmers could control their cattle on and off the ferry. Luke Hill served as the ferryman and was paid 12 pounds per year. In 1756 the General Assembly commissioned another ferry at Pent Road. The fee for a man, horse, and load was one penny. Cattle, sheep, and swine were one half penny per head.
Also see . . .
1. Terry’s Plain Historic District. (Submitted on March 18, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. Terry’s Plain Historic District. (Submitted on March 18, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 18, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.