Delaware City in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Christ Episcopal Church
On February 16, 1849, the congregation purchased this property from John Ashhurst. Construction of the church was commenced in April of that year. On February 22, 1851, the first worship service was held. The church was formally consecrated by Bishop Lee on December 13, 1857. Parish tradition contends that the design for the building was based upon that of the Church of the Redeemer for Seamen, an ornate floating edifice which served the needs of port of Philadelphia sailors from 1849 to 1853.
The building of a Rectory was authorized on February 7, 1870. The structure was completed the following November. Construction of the Parish Hall was completed in 1895. The building was occupied and dedicated at a service of benediction conducted by Bishop Leighton Coleman
Erected 1998 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-100.)
Location. 39° 34.509′ N, 75° 35.555′ W. Marker is in Delaware City, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Clinton Street and Third Street, on the right when traveling south on Clinton Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delaware City DE 19706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Delaware City Public School (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Delaware Historic Civil Engineering Landmark (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Diving Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Delaware City School No. 118C (approx. half a mile away); Pea Patch Island (approx. 1.3 miles away); Batteries Hentig and Dodd (approx. 1.6 miles away); Sally Port (approx. 1.6 miles away); W. Emerson Wilson (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware City.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,347 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.