Near Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Commanding Oﬃcer's Quarters
Erected 1963 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1001.)
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 29° 18.235′ N, 100° 25.405′ W. Marker was near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker was on Colony Row, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on Fort Clark Springs in the Fort Clark National Register Historic District and is accessible to the public. The subject of the marker is a private residence. Marker was at or near this postal address: 29 Colony Row, Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Staff Officers' Quarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Adjutant's Quarters (Quarters #20) U.S. Army Signal Corps Building (about 500 feet away); 1873 Infantry Barracks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Officers' Row Quarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Married Officers' Quarters 8-9 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Clark Post Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); Officers Quarters 2-3 and 4 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
Regarding Commanding Officer's Quarters. The Commanding Officer’s Quarters was built by the United States Army in 1873 of local limestone and is a contributing structure to the National Register Historic District of Fort Clark. Today, the property continues to fulfill its original intended purpose of family housing. This imposing residence is an enduring element of the landscape of Fort Clark and still commands the parade ground today as the home’s notable occupants did in years past.
It remains an Army tradition to name the prominent quarters on each post in honor of the highest ranking officer to have resided within its walls. As a result several posts have a Pershing
In 1922 the quarters were designated for the Commanding Officer of the 1st Cavalry Brigade, a brigadier general. It was in that assignment that Jonathan Wainwright occupied the quarters from December 1938 until September 1940. Major General Harry H. Johnson, first cousin of Lyndon Baines Johnson, commanding the 2nd Cavalry Division lived here 1943-44. Not to be outdone by famous military men, John Wayne selected the home as his residence during the filming of his epic The Alamo in 1959.
Also see . . . Friends of the Fort Clark Historic District. Guided tours, presentations and programs, genealogical and archival research assistance ... and much more. (Submitted on August 13, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 677 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on March 20, 2017, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 18, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.