Myrtle Beach in Horry County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
353rd Tactical Fighter Squadron
The 353rd Tactical Fighter squadron was formed on November 15, 1942. During World War II the fighter squadron was known as the "Fighting Cobras,“ and served with distinction in England, France and Germany, flying the P-39, P-51 and P-47 aircraft.
Their successful aerial operations helped establish the Normandy beachhead and aided the rapid advancement of Allied ground forces across France and into Germany. The squadron was reassigned to Bolling Field, District of Columbia, March 31, 1945, and inactivated later that year.
On September 28, 1956, the unit was reactivated and designated the 353rd Fighter Day squadron, assigned to Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. The 353rd pilots began flying the F-100D Super Sabre and continued to fly that aircraft while the squadron was stationed at Torrejon Air Base, Spain. They returned to Myrtle Beach Air Force Base in July 1971 and transitioned to the A-7D Corsair II.
In October 1972, the squadron was sent to Southeast Asia where its members participated in Linebacker II operations as the 353rd Tactical Fighter squadron.
In May 1973, the unit returned to Myrtle Beach.
( adjacent marker )
During the 1980s, the squadron participated in numerous high-profile deployments and exercises. Major deployments were conducted in England, Germany and Egypt, while stateside exercises were conducted in numerous locations. Toward the end of this decade, the 353rd's emphasis on training shifted to the Middle East. This proved to be especially relevant when the "Black Panthers" was the first air-to-ground fighter squadron deployed to Saudi Arabia to conduct combat operations in Iraq during Desert Shield/Desert Storm.
During Desert Storm, the "Black Panthers" spearheaded the aerial assault against Iraq's ground forces. They were responsible for destroying hundreds of Iraqi armored vehicles and also leading the airborne Combat Search and Rescue efforts that resulted in the successful rescue of several coalition pilots. The "Black Panthers' ceased operations from Myrtle Beach Air Force Base in 1992, and
The mission of the 353rd Tactical Fighter Squadron is to maintain the capability to deploy worldwide and provide close air support, anti-armor operations, interdiction, and search and rescue operations in a low, medium or high threat environment. The 353rd's tactical fighter missions are designed to destroy enemy forces and equipment through the use of the 30mm cannon, Maverick missile and a wide range of other conventional munitions.
( adjacent marker )
The unit has a long and illustrious history having been first activated at Hamilton Field, California, in 1942. The unit began flying P-39 Bell Air Cobra fighters. As World War II accelerated, the Squadron was sent to England and began flying the P-51 Mustang. It achieved an illustrious aerial combat record in this aircraft and, later, in the P-47 Thunderbolt.
After the war, the squadron returned to the United States and was inactivated. In the nation's military build-up in response to the communist threat, the squadron was re-activated at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base in 1956 and began flying the F-100 Super
When the A-7 aircraft were re-assigned to the Air National Guard, the unit was among the first to become combat ready in the newly assigned A-10 Thunderbolt II. After the base de-activated and closed in 1993, the squadron was transferred to Eielsen Air Force Base, Alaska, where it remains today.
( adjacent marker )
The tall tower section of the building was packing used to suspend and dry the parachutes and to allow for complete inspection to help ensure the integrity of the material.
During the heyday of the F-100 at Myrtle Beach, 90 percent of the work of the shop was devoted to caring for the F-100 drag chutes.
After closure of the base, the building was sold to a privately owned company.
On average 40, to 50 F-100 drag chutes were packed at the Parachute Shop. A2C Albert Nedley (r) uses a hook for packing.
Master Sergeant John Fletterer operates his “jig," a device he invented,
( adjacent marker )
The mission of the squadron was to provide security and law enforcement for the base. In doing so, one of it's key security functions was to ensure the security of the Wing's combat aircraft.
Location. 33° 40.142′ N, 78° 56.164′ W. Marker is in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, in Horry County. Marker is at the intersection of Mustang Street and Shine Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Mustang Street. Touch for map. Located in Market Common. Marker is in this post office area: Myrtle Beach SC 29577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Avionics Maintenance (a few steps from this marker); 356th Tactical Fighter Squadron Operations (within shouting distance of this marker); 356th Tactical Fighter Squadron (about 400 feet away, Brigadier General Thomas Merrit Knoles III (about 500 feet away); 355th Tactical Fighter Squadron Operations (approx. 0.2 miles away); 355th Tactical Fighter Squadron (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel Edsel J. "Coupe" DeVille (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dental Clinic (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Myrtle Beach.
Also see . . . 353d Combat Training Squadron on Wikipedia. (Submitted on March 21, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 21, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.