Gulfport in Harrison County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Harrison County Confederate Monument
1861 — 1865
—Lest We Forget —
Erected 1911 by the Daughters of the Confederacy and Board of Supervisors" of Harrison County Mississippi".
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 30° 22.383′ N, 89° 5.428′ W. Marker is in Gulfport, Mississippi, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of 23rd Avenue and 19th Street, on the right when traveling south on 23rd Avenue. Touch for map. Located at the Harrison County Courthouse parking garage. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1801 23rd Avenue, Gulfport MS 39501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Gulfport High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Magnolia Route (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1863 East Pascagoula Raid (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ship Island (approx. 0.6 miles away); Kellier-Sternberg House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dr. Felix Henry Dunn (approx. one mile away); Gulfport Civil Rights Wade-In (approx. 1.1 miles away); Gulfport Boogie (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulfport.
Regarding Harrison County Confederate Monument.
The Harrison County Monument Association, composed of the United Daughters of the Confederacy Chapters of Gulfport, Biloxi, and Pass Christian, donated $2,500 for the monument. The Harrison County Board of Supervisors contributed $1,000.
The 25 foot sculpture is comprised of a concrete base with a metal figure. Source: Smithsonian American Art Museum - Inventory # IAS MS000119
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 23, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.