Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pascagoula in Jackson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Camp Jefferson Davis

 
 
Camp Jefferson Davis Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
1. Camp Jefferson Davis Marker
Inscription. Authorized on February 22, 1848, by President James K. Polk, this camp was situated on a peninsula just south of Pascagoula called Greenwood Island. The camp grounds consisted of several buildings, including a hospital, parade ground, and cemetery. Under the command of Brevet Major General David Twiggs, the camp processed over two thousand soldiers from June to October 1848. After the camp closed in 1853, the buildings were destroyed by a hurricane in 1860, and the property was sold in 1903.

Sub-Panel
Sponsored by the Descendants of Mexican War Veterans

 
Erected 2014 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 30° 20.616′ N, 88° 32.088′ W. Marker is in Pascagoula, Mississippi, in Jackson County. Marker is on Beach Boulevard west of City Park Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located within Beach Park, along Beach Boulevard. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 City Park Street, Pascagoula MS 39567, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies.
Former location of Camp Jefferson Davis, now the 14 acre Beach Park. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
2. Former location of Camp Jefferson Davis, now the 14 acre Beach Park.
Louisiana Native Guard Attacks Pascagoula (a few steps from this marker); President Zachary Taylor's Summer Home Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Jefferson Davis - Soldiers Return From The Mexican War - 1848 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Twiggs and the Military Asylum 1849-1855 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camp Lawson – Military Hospital on Greenwood Island – 1848 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Longfellow House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Capt. John Grant (approx. 1.2 miles away); Shipbuilding in Jackson County (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pascagoula.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Wiki article on Camp Jefferson Davis. (Submitted on March 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesMilitaryNotable Places
 
View of Camp Jefferson Davis Marker & former camp location from Pascagoula Promenade. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
3. View of Camp Jefferson Davis Marker & former camp location from Pascagoula Promenade.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 75 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement