Biloxi in Harrison County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
—Historic Biloxi —
Time and countless storms have worn away the identifying information on the cypress boards that served as the earliest grave markers. Names and dates on tombs and stones throughout the cemetery reflect the broad ethnicity and different historical eras of Biloxi. The earliest existing grave stone is inscribed in French and bears the death date 1811. Those who fought for their country victims of yellow fever and the 1918-1919 influenza epidemic lie here, along with those who lived a long and full life. Graves of the renowned and persons of local fame can be found here.
On August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina ravaged the oldest beachfront section of the cemetery. A $300,000 FEMA-funded restoration project included
Erected 2015 by the City of Biloxi.
Location. 30° 23.822′ N, 88° 54.44′ W. Marker is in Biloxi, Mississippi, in Harrison County. Marker can be reached from Irish Hill Drive east of Caldwell Avenue. Touch for map. Located in the Old French Cemetery portion of the Old Biloxi Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1166 Irish Hill Drive, Biloxi MS 39530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Father Ryan House (approx. 0.2 miles away); White House Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Moran Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Moran Site History (approx. 0.4 miles away); French Colonial Memorial Garden (approx. 0.4 miles away); Archaeological Findings (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Memorial Garden (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pierre LeMoyne Sieur d'Iberville (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Biloxi.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.