Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Left vacant in 1934 and slated to be razed for a filling station, the church was saved through the intervention of the Greek Orthodox congregation, which purchased it in 1937. A Greek inscription, meaning “House of God, Gateway to Heaven” was carved into the stone above the entrance. The altar was transformed into an orthodox one, glowing with icons and relics from the famous Greek monasteries of Mt. Athos.
In 1938, the church was consecrated in the Orthodox tradition by Archbishop Athenagoras of Archdiocese of North and South America. He was later named Patriarch of the Constantinople, the highest honor in Eastern Orthodoxy.
The Greek Orthodox parish, oldest and largest in Maryland, was elevated to the rank of the Greek Orthodox Cathedral in 1975. It is one of the oldest Greek Orthodox parishes in the United States.
(Inscription under the image in the upper left)
(Inscription under the image in the lower right)
Icon of the Annunciation
Location. 39° 18.278′ N, 76° 37.061′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on W Preston Street. Touch for map. The marker is to the left of the far left door. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 W Preston Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Maryland Line Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Entering the Automobile Age: The Horseless Revolution (about 600 feet away); The Lyric Theatre (about 600 feet away); Douglas L. Frost (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mount Royal Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Mount Royal Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Mount Royal Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Acquiring Fame: Mount Vernon Celebrities (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 27, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.