Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mérida in Municipality of Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico — The Southeast (Yucatan Peninsula)
 

Temple of St. John the Baptist

 
 
Temple of St. John the Baptist Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 18, 2017
1. Temple of St. John the Baptist Marker
When this photo was taken the grounds of the temple were closed, making it impossible to take a photo of the Spanish version of the marker. A translation of the English text is provided.
Inscription.
Spanish translation from English text:
Templo de San Juan Bautista
Patrimonio Nacional
Este edificio fue erigido entre 1769 y 1770 en el sitio de una capilla del siglo XVI, como un acto invocando la protección de San Juan Bautista para la población después de los tres ataques de plagas de langosta que devastaron los cultivos locales en 1552, 1616 y 1666. Detrás del templo había una posada pública para los viajeros. Destaca en este complejo arquitectónico un corredor de influencia morisca que precede a la sacristía y tal vez sea la última evidencia de la capilla original. Este templo da nombre al parque, que solía ser una pequeña plaza polvorienta con un pozo de agua durante los tiempos coloniales, y que comenzó a convertirse en una plaza en 1885. Destaca la fuente de "La Negrita", traída de París en la parte temprana del siglo XX. En el flanco sur del templo de San Juan Bautista había una plaza de toros, pero esa tradición terminó desde 1910, cuando una estatua de Benito Juárez tomó su lugar.

English:
Temple of St. John The Baptist
National Heritage
This building was erected between 1769 and 1770 on the site of a chapel dating from the 16th Century, as an act invocating the protection of St. John The Baptist from the population following the three
An additonal marker on the Temple of St. John the Baptist image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 18, 2017
2. An additonal marker on the Temple of St. John the Baptist
This additional marker is at the far southeastern corner of the church. It reads:
A la memoria
del primer grupo de ilustres
Sanjuanistas,
precursores de la Independencia
in Yucatan.
17 de septiembre de 1910.

English translation:
To the memory of the first group of illustrious Sanjuanistas, pioneers of Independence in the Yucatán.
September 17, 1910.
locust plaque attacks that devastated local crops in 1552, 1616 and 1666. Behind the temple there used to be a public inn for the travelers. Standing out in this architectonic complex is a corridor of Moorish influence that precedes the sacristy and perhaps is the last evidence of the original chapel. This temple gives name to the park, which used to be a dusty small square with a well for water supply during Colonial times, and that began to change into a square in 1885. It highlights the fountain of “La Negrita,” brought from Paris early in the 20th Century. In the south flank of the temple of St. John The Baptist there was a bullfighting ring, but that tradition ended since 1910, when a statue of Benito Juarez took its place.

Maya-Yucateco:
U k’uj najil San Juan Bautista
U ti’al tuláakal u noj lu’umil Meexico
Le noj naja’ beetchaj ichil u ja’abilo’ob 1769 yéetel 1770 tu yóok’ol jump’éel capilla ti’ siglo XVI, bey jump’éel k’áatóolal ti’al ka kal’naanta’ak kaaj tumeen San Juan Bautista tu yo’olal le costeen taalik le sáak’o’ob ka tu k’askúuntajo’ob pak’alo’ob tu ja’abilo’ob 1552, 1616 yéetel 1666. Tu paach ke k’uj naja’ u yanchaj jump’éel noj naj u ti’al u je’elel le aj xámbalo’obo’. Ba’ax jach jadzutz yanile’ leti’ le joreóodr au’ux chika’an mudéjar yan taanil ti’ le sacristia, tela’ jach mi leti’ u dzook u chiikul le
Temple of St. John the Baptist Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 18, 2017
3. Temple of St. John the Baptist Marker
The marker is to the right of the church in this view. The additional marker on the right column of the entry to the atrium is a Braille version of the marker.
capillala ka’acho’. U k’aba’ le k’uj naja’ le meyajnaj ti’al u dza’abal u k’aaba’ le parqueo’, ba’ax jump’éel noj k’wik ka’ach tu’ux yan jump’éel che’e’en kaaj tu k’iinilo’ob le coloniao’, ma’ túun kaaj u beetchajal k’uwikil tu ja’abil 1885. Ba’ax xan jach chika’ane’ jump’éel chan kúuchil tu’ux ku tis ja’ ku k’abatik La negrita, ba’ax tasa’an Paris tu kaajbal le siglo XX tu noojol le k’uj naja’ u yan ka’ach jump’éel u kúuchil pay wakak, jump’éel ba’ax kjáaw u beeta’al tu ja’abil 1910 le ka dza ab u bustoil Juarez tu yok’ol.
 
Location. 20° 57.762′ N, 89° 37.554′ W. Marker is in Mérida, Yucatán, in Municipality of Mérida. Marker can be reached from Calle 69A. Touch for map. The marker is to the front (west) of the Temple of St. John the Baptist (Templo de San Juan del Bautista). Marker is in this post office area: Mérida, Yucatán 97000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Benito Juárez (within shouting distance of this marker); Corner of Calle 62 and 67 (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); "The Count" (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Former Mansion of Doña Josefa Escudero Aguirre (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Emilio Seijo Walkway (approx.
Temple of St. John the Baptist image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 18, 2017
4. Temple of St. John the Baptist
The marker is just to the left outside of this additional view of the temple. Also note the two additional, older markers on the south face of the church.
0.4 kilometers away); "Los Peones" (approx. half a kilometer away); House of Writer José Peón Contreras (approx. half a kilometer away); The House of Montejo (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mérida.
 
Categories. ArchitectureChurches, Etc.Colonial EraMan-Made Features
 
"La Negrita" statue in front of the Temple of St. John the Baptist image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 18, 2017
5. "La Negrita" statue in front of the Temple of St. John the Baptist
The nearby statue of Juárez just south of the Temple of St. John the Baptist image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 18, 2017
6. The nearby statue of Juárez just south of the Temple of St. John the Baptist
As mentioned in the marker text, the area around this statue used to be a bullring.
Additional, older markers on the Temple of St. John the Baptist image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 18, 2017
7. Additional, older markers on the Temple of St. John the Baptist
The leftmost marker on the south face of the temple reads:
El Chantre Dr. Saturnino Vela.
Capellan de esta ermita
de San Juan Bta, hace una
ofrenda de gratitud al Sr.
Don Manuel Zapata Bolio.
por las notables mejoras que
ha realizado en dicha Ermita
Dbre-1954

English translation:
Dr. Saturnino Vela, Chaplain of this hermitage of St. John the Baptish, offers his gratitude to Manuel Zapata Bolio for the notable improvements that he has made to this church.
December 1954

The additional marker to the right is not readable, however the date “1770” can be seen.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 28, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement