St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1750
Three major phases of town growth are depicted in this house. The first phase is represented in the first floor's L-shaped plan of coquina during the First Spanish Period, the second is an eastern wing built in the British Period, and the final is the wooden upper story added during the Territorial Period. The resulting structure is larger and more impressive than the traditional dwellings. Minor modifications, additions, and deterioration were factors addressed during the 1968 restoration. Physical evidence, archival research, and archaeological studies contributed to the building's restoration. Since 1931 the building has been owned by the City of St. Augustine and under management of the Woman's Exchange.
Location. 29° 53.609′ N, 81° 18.769′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of St George Street and Treasury Street, on the left when traveling south on St George Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 143 St George St, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Treasury/Dr. Peck House (here, next to this marker); Dr. Peck House (a few steps from this marker); Frederick Douglass Cathedral Basillica of St. Augustine (about 300 feet away); Plaza de la Constitución (about 300 feet away); 8 inch Columbiad (about 300 feet away); Sanchez-Burt House (about 400 feet away); Sanchez House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.