Wisconsin Rapids in Wood County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Grand Rapids of the Wisconsin River
Ferries spanned the river until a wooden toll bridge was built in 1867, only to be washed out in 1888. On several occasions, the Grand Rapids have been unable to cope with the ice and flood waters with devastating floods resulting; the worst of these being in 1880 and 1935. The flow of water in 1935 reached a record half million gallons per second, accompanied by the cry, “The Biron Dam has gone out.”
The last lumber raft passed over the rapids in 1887. In 1901 the numerous waterpower developments on both sides of the river were combined into one company known as Consolidated Water Power Company, a parent company of the present paper mill on the opposite bank of the river. Thus lumbering gave way to papermaking.
Location. 44° 23.568′ N, 89° 49.445′ W. Marker is in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of North 1st Street and East Jackson Street, on the left when traveling north on North 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wisconsin Rapids WI 54494, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Winnebago Indians ( about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wood County Veterans Memorial ( about 600 feet away); “The Iron Horse in Grand Rapids” ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Corenso North America ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Elizabeth Daly House ( approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wisconsin Rapids.
More about this marker. This is a Wisconsin Registered Landmark – Number 25.
Also see . . . Grand Rapids. 64 page illustrated 1907 book by A. Decker. (Submitted on May 18, 2007.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,229 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 18, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on September 25, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on May 20, 2007, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 5. submitted on September 25, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.