Village of Brothers
The mine opened in 1870 and is located one mile to the southwest. Fraterville miners convinced their relatives to join them in their mining ventures. The miners had the opportunity to own their own land, build their own homes, be paid in cash fo coal they mined, and validated the concept of Fraterville as a village of brothers.
Erected by Coal Creek Watershed Foundation.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Coal Creek Watershed marker series.
Location. 36° 12.317′ N, 84° 10.033′ W. Marker is in Fraterville, Tennessee, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of Briceville Highway (Tennessee Route 116) and Andy's Ridge Road, on the left when traveling north on Briceville Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake City TN 37769, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fraterville Disaster (here, next to this marker); Itinerant Miners' Cemetery
Also see . . . Eldad Cicero Camp. (Submitted on April 1, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 93 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 1, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.