Discover Holliday Street: A Stage for Culture, Politics, and Worship
(The inscription under the images on the left)
For more than a century the Holliday Street Theater entertained Baltimoreans from a site across the street from City Hall. The original wooden theater was replaced in 1813 with the impressive brick building shown here. A fire destroyed this theater in 1873, and its replacement, built in 1874, was demolished in 1917.
An 1845 ceremony at Bethel AME Church on Saratoga Street, honoring a white minister for his efforts on behalf of “the colored race.” Now located in West Baltimore, Bethel AME continues to thrive as a spiritual and community leader.
A parade at the 1914 centennial celebration of “The Star Spangled Banner” passes by the reviewing stand at City Hall.
Memorial Day Parade, June 2, 1919. The 808th infantry, an African American unit, is shown heading south on Holliday Street, half a block from City Hall.
City Hall and War Memorial Plaza, circa 1930. Architect Lawrence Hall Fowler designed the plaza in 1926 to complement the War Memorial Building and City Hall. The plaza’s border space was lowered to provide commanding views of both buildings.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zion Lutheran Church (a few steps from this marker); A Tribute to Our Unsung Heroes (within shouting distance of this marker); The Negro Heroes of the United States (within shouting distance of this marker); City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); On This Location (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Hiltgunt Margret Zassenhaus (within shouting distance of this marker); Boundary Lines of Baltimore Town (within shouting distance of this marker); War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.