Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Middleburg in Clay County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Middleburg Methodist Church

 
 
Middleburg Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, March 4, 2017
1. Middleburg Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Founded on or before July 27, 1828 by Isaac Boring, a Methodist Circuit Riding Preacher. First known as The Black Creek Methodist Church. This frontier Methodist society met in homes until the present church was built in 1847. In continuous use since that date, the structure represents the oldest Methodist meeting place in Florida.

Built mostly by slave labor, from native lumber and hand wrought nails from local blacksmiths. The heart of pine exterior is of clapboard square edge siding, a design unique to this period. The windows and mahogany wood for the pews were brought from overseas ports. The bell was cast in New York in 1852 and shipped here prior to 1860 by George Branning. It was tolled for the first time for the funeral of his son on February 29, 1860, who died during a swamp fever epidemic.

The wide aisle was left down the center to segregate the men and women. The back pews were reserved for slaves. The pews were put together with wooden pegs and hand drawn. The marks of the draw-knife can still be seen.

During the mid 1800s the cemetery was used to bury the town Protestants. The Catholic Cemetery was located 120 feet north of here. In recent years the Cemetery became the burial ground for the community in general.
 
Erected 1986 by The Middleburg United
Middleburg Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, March 4, 2017
2. Middleburg Methodist Church Marker
Methodist Church in cooperation with the Department of State. (Marker Number F-310.)
 
Location. 30° 4.103′ N, 81° 51.74′ W. Marker is in Middleburg, Florida, in Clay County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Butler Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3925 Main St, Middleburg FL 32068, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thompson - Chalker Docks (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Middleburg (about 600 feet away); Fort Heilman (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Roy Stanley Geiger,United States Marine Corps (approx. 0.7 miles away); Town of Penney Farms 1927 (approx. 6.8 miles away); Camp Chowenwaw (approx. 9.1 miles away); Camp Blanding (approx. 9 miles away); Hickory Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 11.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middleburg.
 
Also see . . .  Middleburg United Methodist Church. (Submitted on April 4, 2017.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 3, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement