Parrish in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The first documented settlers in present-day Parrish in early part of 1850 were William B. Hooker and William H. Johnson. Here they found the ideal climate, fertile soil and a nearby river, all suitable for establishing a plantation for their ill-fated joint venture in growing sea island cotton. After the partnership was dissolved Maj. William Iredell Turner acquired Hooker's plantation in 1867 and named it "Oak Hill." Among the other earlier settlers were Crawford and Mary Bratcher (Vanzandt) Parrish. When the post office opened, the name was changed to "Parrish." The railroad provided mail and travel service by 1902.
Parrish became a thriving community depending upon a citrus, cattle and agriculture economy. There's a grove here over 100 years old still bearing. Area had 3 packing houses, 3 or more churches, 2 boarding houses, blacksmith shop and many stores. At turn of century, the Methodist Church served as a school. Crawford P. Parrish gave land for the first schoolhouse. It was removed and replaced with the present building on 1924. Judah P. Benjamin, Confederate Secretary of State, in his 1865 escape from Richmond, was securely hidden in a swamp behind Major Turner's house for several days before he was transported to Gamble
Erected 1988 by Manatee County Historical Society.
Location. 27° 34.661′ N, 82° 25.535′ W. Marker is in Parrish, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 301 and 71st Street East, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 301. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Parrish Community Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12214 US 301 North, Parrish FL 34219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gillette Community (approx. 6½ miles away); Gamble Sugar Cane Mill (approx. 7.1 miles away); Gamble Mansion and Plantation (approx. 7.3 miles away); Craig Sugar Mill Chimney (approx. 7.7 miles away); Rubonia Women's Club (approx. 7.8 miles away); Site of Atwood Grove and Origin of World's 1st Pink Grapefruit / (approx. 8.4 miles away); Lincoln Memorial High School (approx. 9 miles away); Old Memphis Cemetery (approx. 9 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 268 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 3, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.