Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
With baseball suspended for the duration of WWII, present-day McKechnie Field was closed between 1941-48 and taken over by the U.S. Army and named Camp Bradenton. Under command of Maj. Joseph H. Dunlap, it was designated a Signal Corps basic training facility and substation of Drew Field, Tampa. First troops arrived March 27, 1942. City Annex is where headquarters stood. Name was changed to Camp Weatherford in April 1943 in honor of Pfc. Willie M. Weatherford of Miami who was killed in the Philippines during WWII. Maj. Louis A. Cary became the commanding officer.
Erected by Manatee
Location. 27° 29.247′ N, 82° 34.27′ W. Marker is in Bradenton, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is on 9th Street West south of 13th Avenue West, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Bradenton Public Works. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1411 9th St West, Bradenton FL 34205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bradenton General Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away); Major Adams Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Lincoln High School (approx. half a mile away); Courthouse Square (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bradenton Depot (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Carnegie Library (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bealls Centennial (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bradenton.
Categories. • Sports • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 3, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.