Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Strasburg in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Stoner-Keller House & Mill

1847    1772

 
 
Stoner-Keller House and Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 3, 2017
1. Stoner-Keller House and Mill Marker
Inscription.
Has been designated a
Virginia Historic Landmark
And placed on the
National Register
Of Historic Places

 
Location. 38° 59.168′ N, 78° 23.959′ W. Marker is in Strasburg, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Battlefield Road (Virginia Route 601) and Copp Road (Route 757). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2900 Battlefield Road, Strasburg VA 22657, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fisher's Hill Battlefield (approx. 0.2 miles away); Valley Pike (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Battle of Fishers Hill (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Fisher's Hill (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fisher's Hill (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Fisher's Hill (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Fisher’s Hill (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Fisher’s Hill (approx. one mile away).
 
Also see . . .
1. National Register Nomination Form, 2012. (Submitted on April 4, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
2. Passing Historical Muster. Fisher’s Hill property added to registers for historic places by Josette
Stoner-Keller House and Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 3, 2017
2. Stoner-Keller House and Mill Marker
Keelor, in the Northern Virginia Daily, April 2, 2013. (Submitted on April 4, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Stoner-Keller Mill image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 3, 2017
3. Stoner-Keller Mill
The mill was built by Frederick Stoner on Tumbling Run in 1772 and operated by him.
Stoner-Keller Mill image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 3, 2017
4. Stoner-Keller Mill
When the mill was enlarged in 1855, its gable roof was replaced by the present gambrel roof adding another story to the original stone building.
Stoner-Keller House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 3, 2017
5. Stoner-Keller House
The house was built in 1844 and occupied by the miller Abraham Stoner grandson of Frederick Stoner. Abraham Stoner took over the mill after the death of his father William Stoner in 1843. In the early 20th century this was the John H. Keller House and the mill was called Keller Mill.
Water Wheel image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 3, 2017
6. Water Wheel
This Fitz steel wheel replaced the original wooden wheel ca. 1895 when the several small rooms and a loading dock were added. One of the rooms housed the Fisher's Hill U.S. Post Office.
Mill Stone in the sidewalk in front of the Mill image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 3, 2017
7. Mill Stone in the sidewalk in front of the Mill
“Friends Gather Here” by Faith Rollins image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 3, 2017
8. “Friends Gather Here” by Faith Rollins
hanging at the Stoner-Keller Mill
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 87 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 4, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement