Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Mary's School

 
 
St. Mary's School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Baker
1. St. Mary's School Marker
Inscription. This structure, designed by Pius Daubner, was completed in 1868. It is one of the oldest Catholic school buildings in the state and the third in the history of St. Mary's. At the first school, built in 1844, laymen were the original instructors. In 1852 the "Christian Brothers" opened two classes with 180 pupils and the School Sister of Notre Dame (a German order of teaching nuns) took charge of the girls and smaller boys. In 1855 a second school was built and used as a school, orphanage, and sister's residence. Prior to closing in 1966, St. Mary's Commercial School for Girls was the only one if its kind in Detroit. The building is now St. Mary's Community Center.
 
Erected 1980 by Michigan History Division, Department of State.
 
Location. 42° 20.135′ N, 83° 2.588′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Monroe Avenue and St. Antoine Street, on the right when traveling north on Monroe Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Detroit MI 48226, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Second Baptist Church Underground Railroad Site (about 300 feet away); St. Mary's Church (about 600 feet away); Henry the Hatter (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary's Rectory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Germantown (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Harmonie Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Music Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on April 5, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement